Monday, October 28, 2013

Tenth Plus 1 Solo Show Festival Concludes Tonight! Q&A with Garry Novikoff

Tongue in Cheek Theater is delighted to be continuing its tenth Plus 1 Solo Show Festival tonight. Buy your tickets now at www.tictheater.com. All performances are at 8 pm at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios (244 West 54th Street, 12th floor, NYC).

For the price of one $20 ticket, an audience member sees 4 short, original funny shows plus musical guest Garry Novikoff performs between the pieces. The evening of short solo shows runs 2 hours with an intermission.

We recently interviewed Garry Novikoff, and here's what the talented song man had to say.

What is your favorite thing about being involved in Plus 1?
I love how we see how the parts of peoples lives get distilled in these stories. Whether they are about racism, an unhappy childhood or getting the drapes to the living room right, there is always a good slice of humanity for me to digest, think about and relate to. And of course they are wildly entertaining!

When I choose which songs to sing in between solo shows, I need to figure out if I'm going to try to blend my songs in with the piece before it, the piece that follows, or to simply be the "palette cleanser," and not relate my songs to the solo shows at all. I love that puzzle!

What's your favorite piece to perform and why?
Some of my own songs are story songs as well, so they are always fun to do. The big crowd pleaser seems to be my song "Dog on the Moon" a fictitious piece about the first canine space traveler and the average Joe who envies him. Since the crowd knows they are already they to hear stories, it's a great set-up for the song.

Where can we catch your music and in performance next?
On November 15th I will have a CD release party for my innocent gay pop song, "I Like Men." It will be at 8pm at Rockbar NYC, 185 Chistopher St. The video also tells a story - the day in the life of a gay office drone who lives a double life as a gay pop star. Think "queer Dilbert meets Hanna Montana." My CD, A Normal Life is available in iTunes and CD baby, all easy to access from my website www.garrynovikoff.com.

Series B of the festival concludes tonight, Monday, October 28 at 8 pm.

This series features the following artists and their original works (links to their Q&As, below):
Tickets are $20 by calling 212-868-4444 or online at http://www.smarttix.com/Show.aspx?ShowCode=SER11

Thank you for being a part of seriously funny theater!

No comments:

Post a Comment