Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Q&A with Michael Edmund ('Big Papa') in HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE

TIC Theater is thrilled to produce a 3-week run this fall of How I Learned to Drive by Paula Vogel, running Oct. 17-19, 24-26, 31-Nov. 2 at 8 pm at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios (244 W. 54 St., 12th Fl.).  Tickets are $18 online and 212-868-4444.

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, this play follows precocious Li'l Bit's formative teenage years in rural Maryland in the 1960s.  Li'l Bit finds herself constantly ogled by men: from her lewd grandfather Big Papa, to disapproving waiters, and boys at school.

How I (Really) Learned to Drive by Michael Edmund ('Big Papa')
I was born and raised in Manhattan. One of the disadvantages of being a teenager in New York City is that a young person can't get a learner's permit to drive until they're 18. (I think it's a little different now but that's the way it was in the 70's).

When I was 17 my family moved to Minneapolisto help with my ailing grandmother's business. I was in the 12th grade thenand the only 12th grader who didn't know how to drive. I was forced to take driver's ed with a bunch of 9th graders. This was embarrassing to say the least. But since I was 17 I was able to go right into the driver's program once I passed my written test.

Well: the 6 hours behind the wheel training was nothing short of a disaster. I had never been behind a wheel beforeand the instructorMr. Berghad never had to deal with such an inexperienced student. I would confuse the accelerator with the brakes, the turn signals with the windshield wipers and as for parallel parkingthe less said the better.

My teacher wasn't very encouraging: he bluntly told me that in 29 years of teaching I was the worst student he ever had. But somehow we got through the 6 hours and miraculously I passed the road test on my first try. (Mr. Berg claimed I passed because the instructor giving the test never wanted to see me again.) And for the next several years I drove pretty much without incident. (Well there was that time when I smashed into a parked car, but I really don't want to get into that.)

I haven't owned a car since 1977, and being back in NY I really can't say I miss it. I still rent cars when I'm visiting friends out of town, but I hate driving and I really hate parallel parking. (I love valet parking, however.)

See the marvelous Michael as 'Big Papa' this fall at the Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios.

TIC is thrilled to have sold out its last 2 seasons of plays, so please do buy your ticket in advance.  http://www.smarttix.com/Show.aspx?ShowCode=HOW27

For more about the cast, crew, and Tongue in Cheek, please visit www.tictheater.com and like us on Facebook, www.facebook.com/tictheater

No comments:

Post a Comment