Sunday, October 13, 2013

Q&A with Dale Davidson for October's Plus 1 Solo Show Fest - Series A

This fall, Tongue in Cheek has selected 8 solo show artists to take part in its tenth Plus 1 Solo Show Festival, which runs October 20, 21, 27 & 28.  For tickets and more, visit www.tictheater.com.

We recently interviewed Ms. Dale Davidsonwhich will be featured in Series A in the festival, running October 20 & 21.  Read on, and then go grab your tickets!

Who or what got you interested in doing this show?
Dale Davidson, Fearfully Funny
While doing improv and classes at the Magnet Theater, I noticed they have a Storytelling class with Adam Wade. I had listened to The Moth on radio, and had been to The Liar Show and other fun storytelling events. Many times after those shows, I thought, “I have weird, funny stories to tell.” So I signed up for Adam’s class. After completion, Adam even asked me to repeat my tale at one of his monthly “Adam Wade from NH Show” performances.

I had attended loads of solo shows, having been involved with FringeNYC for its entire 17 years – first as audience, then as a participant and also as a staff member.  It became clear that some of the best solo shows credited Matt Hoverman, he of www.createyourownsoloshow.com. I signed up and recently took his Levels 1 and 2 courses. The production here in the Plus One Solo Show Festival is a vignette of what I worked on in Matt’s classes.

Matt is a genius! He makes it easy to hone what you want to say and how to say it. The “elements” he shares of how to structure and present your material are so helpful. Matt also imparts an appreciation of everyone’s stories and how fascinating we human beings are. Part of what makes us human is empathy. Our individual tales are universal. Sharing them allows both the performer and the audience member to embrace the concept that we are not alone – an important way to combat loneliness and depression. Theatre is the art of connecting people and to sometimes present solutions to our human problems.

[Editor's note: It's true about Matt Hoverman's genius--more than half of Plus 1 Solo Show festival participants have studied with him to craft their pieces. His students' works are consistently brilliant, too!]

Who's your audience?
Action cures fear. That's one of the most powerful lessons I've learned from combatting "inner obstacles" for so many years. Here's another homily: Fear is excitement turned inward. I would love to help young people become consciously courageous and embrace confidence in a healthy way. Becoming an adult is such a challenge (not to mention all of the hormonal craziness!). Silly me, I always thought that the purpose of our lives was to improve ourselves over time. (To paraphrase myself, "I'd better be getting better!") But I'm shocked to find too many people stop growing. I believe much of what blocks them is fear.

On a political level, this country has swerved into actually stoking people's anxieties. I see media "pundits" and politicians using phobia and hatred to enhance their own careers and personal wealth. Xenophobia has given way to general negativity and The Blame Game (especially directed toward President Obama), which has leaked down to voters who are in denial of their racism.

Wouldn't it be loverly to reverse THAT trend with my little show!

Indeed!  Thanks so much, Dale -- can't wait to see you perform!

Series A of the Plus 1 Solo Show Festival runs Sunday, October 20 & Monday, October 21 at 8 pm 
@ The Bridge Theatre (244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor)
Tickets are $20 at http://www.smarttix.com/Show.aspx?ShowCode=SER9 or by calling 212-868-4444
Everything you ever wanted to know about the festival can be found at www.tictheater.com, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment