Sunday, October 6, 2013

TIC Hearts Paula Vogel: An Imaginary Conversation with the Playwright

Dear Ms. Vogel,

I promise I don't usually approach playwrights-slash-Pulitzer-Prize-winners when they're trying to enjoy a nice steak dinner out -- but I just have to tell you that I love your work.
Paula Vogel, playwright

When I was getting my MFA in acting, someone passed me their copy of your play The Baltimore Waltz, and I was hooked by the creativity of your storytelling.  When I founded my own independent theater company, Tongue in Cheek Theater, in 2006, The Baltimore Waltz was our first production.

Over the years, I've read other plays by you and always hoped to someday do your seminal work, How I Learned to Drive.  But for many years, I held back: the uncomfortable mix of sex and family seemed so... challenging... to stage.

But you know what, Ms. Vogel?  Can I call you Paula?  I really do love this play.  Re-reading it late last year, I felt a deep kinship with all the characters, especially the busty-and-smart Li'l Bit.  My production stage manager urged me to do it for our fall show.

So here we go: in 10 days, my production company, now on its 24th production, is staging a three-week run of How I Learned to Drive.  It feels like a brilliant way to celebrate our 8 years of shows (so far!) by returning to your work.

Just wanted to say thank you for writing it.   Enjoy your meal.

Sincerely,

Jake Lipman

P.S. What is Li'l Bit's real name?  We have a bet going that it's Elizabeth.  Or Lily?

Production Details
TIC Theater is thrilled to produce a 3-week run this fall of How I Learned to Drive by Paula Vogel, running Oct. 17-19, 24-26, 31-Nov. 2 at 8 pm at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios (244 W. 54 St., 12th Fl.).  Tickets are $18 online and 212-868-4444.

For more about the cast, crew, and Tongue in Cheek, please visit www.tictheater.com and like us on Facebook, www.facebook.com/tictheater
How I Learned to Drive is an Actors Equity-approved showcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment