Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Q&A with Kaitlan Emery for October's Plus 1 Solo Show Fest - Series B

This fall, Tongue in Cheek has selected 8 solo show artists to take part in its tenth Plus 1 Solo Show Festival, which runs Series A: October 20 & 21 followed by Series B: October 27 & 28.  For tickets and more, visit www.tictheater.com.

We recently interviewed Kaitlan Emery, whose piece, DTMM: I'm a Mormon, will be featured in Series B in the festival, running October 27 & 28.  Read on, and then go grab your tickets!

What inspired you to write this piece?
Seriously, please don't tell.
It started out as a funny story I would tell to friends, or at parties. I have one friend in particular who would always ask me to tell it wherever we went. I eventually wrote it down, and started to think about more components that contribute to the story of my mom and that one time I said the "F" word in front of her and why it's so different, yet accessible.

Most of the struggles I've had are not unlike everyone else's, it's just that I happen to be raised Mormon. I'm asking the same life questions as everyone else around me, it's just informed differently.

Does that answer this question? Short answer: vanity.

What might an audience member be surprised to learn about you?
I've had kidney stones three times. So there's that…

Name one of the funniest or weirdest things that have ever happened to you onstage.
I seem to be an instigator of practical jokes on stage. I was in a production of Noises Off  earlier this year. Playing the stage manager, Poppy, I would come on stage with "the script" to show a character her lines.

Before I'd go on stage I would write or draw something inappropriate in "the script" just to see if I could make her laugh. It would always backfire, because watching the my friend on stage trying not to laugh was the funniest thing. I could never keep it together. There was also that time I had to crucify the main character of a lesbian rock opera I was in…you know what, never mind.

Great stuff, Kaitlan!  We're so excited to see your piece later this October!  
Series B of the Plus 1 Solo Show Festival runs Sunday, October 27 & Monday, October 28 at 8 pm 
@ The Bridge Theatre (244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor)
Tickets are $20 at http://www.smarttix.com/Show.aspx?ShowCode=SER11 or by calling 212-868-4444
Everything you ever wanted to know about the festival can be found at www.tictheater.com, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment