Thursday, October 3, 2013

Q&A with Joan D. Saunders ('Grandma') in HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE

TIC Theater is thrilled to produce a 3-week run this fall of How I Learned to Drive by Paula Vogel, running Oct. 17-19, 24-26, 31-Nov. 2 at 8 pm at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios (244 W. 54 St., 12th Fl.).  Tickets are $18 online and 212-868-4444.

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, this play follows precocious Li'l Bit's formative teenage years in rural Maryland in the 1960s.  She has more in common with her bawdy grandmother than she would like to think...

We sat down with actor Joan D. Saunders ('Grandma') to talk theater, 60's music and mixed drinks.

What's your favorite place to escape it all?
My favorite escape is going to the theater. It doesn’t matter that I’m surrounded by crowds of people. I just slip into the world on the stage. I love movies, too, but theater is different — maybe because it’s living and breathing.

What's your favorite song from the 1960's?
This is really tough to narrow down, even just to the artist — Frankie Vallee, Three Dog Night, any and all Motown, I could go on and on.

But if I have to narrow it down to an artist, I would say Blood, Sweat and Tears, and from among their many great songs, I’d pick “Lucretia MacEvil” (specifically the longer version). In my case with music, it’s always about the music, not the lyrics, and as with all BS&T songs, it’s the combination of brass and guitar, blues and rock, that grabs me. But this song has FAB lyrics, too. 

If Grandma were entertaining, what drink might he fix?
She would mix a virgin Cuba Libre. She knows a girl of any age has to keep her wits about her. And it would be a Cuba Libre because it sounds sophisticated and exotic.

Grab your tickets now to see the jocose Joan D. Saunders out as 'Grandma' this fall at the Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios.

TIC is thrilled to have sold out its last 2 seasons of plays, so please do buy your ticket in advance.  http://www.smarttix.com/Show.aspx?ShowCode=HOW27

For more about the cast, crew, and Tongue in Cheek, please visit www.tictheater.com and like us on Facebook, www.facebook.com/tictheater

No comments:

Post a Comment