Friday, October 4, 2013

Q&A with Holland Hamilton ('Aunt Mary') in HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE

TIC Theater is thrilled to produce a 3-week run this fall of How I Learned to Drive by Paula Vogel, running Oct. 17-19, 24-26, 31-Nov. 2 at 8 pm at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios (244 W. 54 St., 12th Fl.).  Tickets are $18 online and 212-868-4444.

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, this play follows precocious Li'l Bit's formative teenage years in rural Maryland in the 1960s.  Often at odds with her family, she admires her Aunt Mary, who seems to know how to handle any problem with dignity.

We sat down with actor Holland Hamilton ('Aunt Mary') to talk solitude in the city, singing, and sophisticated drinks.

Most of the play takes place at night, on back roads.  What's your favorite place to go to escape the city?
Holland Hamilton
Near my house, there's a pier that looks out on the hudson and further on into New Jersey. Looking out on the water and then onto another time and place has always made me feel calm. The city is always full of noise and action. When I stand in that spot and listen to the water (especially at night), I feel like I'm in my own secret world. Knowing that a quieter, calmer place is just a boat, bus or train ride away is soothing. It reminds me that I don't always have to feel cramped or overworked or tired. I can just pick up and go somewhere that's not so crazy. 

Music from 1960's figures heavily in the play.  What's your favorite song from that decade?
I love the song "Ain't No Mountain." Every time I hear it I get happy. I fell in love with the song when the two moms and kids sing it into their hairbrushes in the movie 'Stepmom.'

Later, I recorded the song with my best friend Marina and at the lyrics "My love is alive deep down in my heart although we are miles apart," we both started laughing at some inside joke. Now I can listen to that recording, no matter where she is, and feel connected to her. It's a real theme song in my life. 

If Aunt Mary were mixing a drink, what would she drink, and why?
So, at first I read this as "if your character was a mixed drink..." But the answer is the same. Cosmopolitan. Aunt Mary tries to present herself as very "good." She's grown up under her sister, "the bad daughter," and so she never wants to be like that.

Cosmos are a strong drinks that look sophisticated and taste delightful. So is Aunt Mary. 

Catch the heartfelt Hamilton as 'Aunt Mary' this fall at the Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios.

TIC is thrilled to have sold out its last 2 seasons of plays, so please do buy your ticket in advance.  http://www.smarttix.com/Show.aspx?ShowCode=HOW27

For more about the cast, crew, and Tongue in Cheek, please visit www.tictheater.com and like us on Facebook, www.facebook.com/tictheater

No comments:

Post a Comment