Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Q&A with Rose Andrez for October's Plus 1 Solo Show Fest - Series B

This fall, Tongue in Cheek has selected 8 solo show artists to take part in its tenth Plus 1 Solo Show Festival, which runs Series A: October 20 & 21 followed by Series B: October 27 & 28.  For tickets and more, visit www.tictheater.com.

We recently interviewed Rose Andrez, whose piece, Lost in Suburbia: The Demise of the Domestic Diva, will be featured in Series B in the festival, running October 27 & 28.

Read on, and then go grab your tickets!
Rose Andrez, in suburbia

Who or what got you interested in telling your solo show? 
 I was at a low point in my life. I was talking to my good friends, James and Diana and they suggested I write about what I was going through. They said, Matt Hoverman teaches a class called Create Your Own Solo Show. You should try it. I knew Matt from many years ago, but I haven't seen him in years. I literally bumped into him the next day in NYC. I thought it was a sign. I thought maybe writing my solo show would help me figure out what happened to me. It was the best decision in my life. I think everyone should write a solo show about their life story. I received so much healing and insights about myself. If you are interested in finding out what happened to me, come to the Plus 1 Solo Show Festival and find out.

Who has helped you along the way with creating this piece?
Matt Hoverman (Create Your Own Solo Show), I literally could have not done it without him. I took Matt's class three times to develop each act and then performed it at the end of his classes to an audience. I also hired Matt to coach me on my writing and get the script in a good place. Matt Hoverman is a genius!  He is so knowledgeable, compassionate and generous. I can go on and on for how deeply grateful I am to Matt.

Then Matt suggested I take Molly Pearson's Produce Your Own Work class. I learned in Molly's class about the business aspects of producing my own piece. I continue to work with her because it's like having a business partner who supports me and guides me on my piece. Molly is fantastic. She has produced her own films and theater productions and knows what she is talking about. She is an expert in her field and her loving support has allowed me to dream big and create a project that I believe in deeply.

I recently started working with Jay Stern, my director. He is helping me shape Act II for the Plus 1 Solo Show festival and perform it to my fullest. I love working with Jay. He is bright, funny and gifted. He has an ability to help me focus on the heart of the material.

I must also say a big thank you to my wonderful husband, Greg who witnessed my demise. He has encouraged me from the beginning to write this piece and to share it with the world.

Who are you talking to in your piece? 
My audience is a group of strangers who hopefully can learn from my life. My intention in writing this piece is to inspire people to discover their unique voice. We are living in in such challenging times where so many of the old paradigms are breaking down. As challenging as it is, it's also an exciting time to create new ways of living. There is power in sharing our stories. My hope is to wake people up and challenge them with my story. Are they living their life true to who they are or true to the relentless expectations of society? Only they know their truth.

Thanks so much, Rose!  So excited see your piece later this month!  
Series B of the Plus 1 Solo Show Festival runs Sunday, October 27 & Monday, October 28 at 8 pm 
@ The Bridge Theatre (244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor)
Tickets are $20 at http://www.smarttix.com/Show.aspx?ShowCode=SER11 or by calling 212-868-4444
Everything you ever wanted to know about the festival can be found at www.tictheater.com, too.

Lost In Suburbia is Rose's first solo show that she has been developing with Matt Hoverman, Molly Pearson and Jay Stern. Performing credits: The Duplex, Triad, The Tralf, Don’t Tell Mama, two CDs, “Lucky Woman”, “I Got A Man” and collaborated with Grammy winning engineer, Dae Bennett who recorded the single Wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment