Sunday, September 30, 2012

OUR TOWN Q&A with Joan D. Saunders

Over the coming weeks, we're blogging about the talented team assembled for OUR TOWN, running Oct. 17-27. Get your tickets now and for more about the show, visit www.tictheater.com.

OUR TOWN Q&A with Joan D. Saunders (playing Professor Willard--local historian)

1. If you were making a time capsule of your life to put in a cornerstone, which 3 items would you include?

My round wire-rimmed glasses (so representative of the early 1970s, plus they were practically glued to my face, I wore them so much).  I don't actually have these anymore.

A photo album with pictures of every car I've had (would should both a timeline of cars over several decades and my personality).

My BlackBerry (would represent technology of a certain era, plus the contact list, photos, etc. would provide clues about me).

2. You're sitting at Mr. Morgan's drugstore counter.  What would you order for an old-time-y treat?

I would get a real malt, chocolate, emphasis on "real."  I might conisder an ice cream soda, but I'm sure I'd end up with the malt.  Side story: I grew up in a relatively small town in North Dakota (well, actually, the third-largest city in the state, at 36,000), and my grandfather was a pharmacist.  He had a drugstore with a soda fountain (Saunders Drug).  I was at the north end of Main Street, and when I was a little girl, I would go there with friends and we would all sit at the soda fountain.

3. What birthday would you most like to re-live, and why?

The birthday I had last year (2011).  There's not need to specify a number, but it's obvious I've had a lot of birthdays--so why this one?  Because it was the most fun birthday I've ever had.  I was in a play, Shakespeare, and after our performances in NYC, we flew to London and performed it outdoors in Hyde Park.  When we flew out of JFK, I was one age, and when we landed in Heathrow in the morning, I was a year older.  We celebrated way above the Atlantic when the date changed, then that night in London, the whole cast went to a pub to celebrate my birthday. 

1 comment:

  1. The stereotype Professor Willard is very male, very pompous, and very boring. Think Arthur Allen in the 1940 film.

    So when a woman walked out, I was floored.

    This Professor Willard is like Flo from Progressive, so perky! She could sell Pleistocene granite in New Hampshire.

    The tension in the time-conscious Stage Manager and the oblivion of the professor was really well done and felt in the audience, and very funny. I laughed out loud, and turned 49 heads in that tiny theater, but I didn't care!

    This was a truly innovative interpretation.

    ReplyDelete