Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Perfectly Sweet State (and Cookie!)

I’m Brady Adair and I’m playing Doc Gibbs in the Fall production of Our Town. I’ve always thought that Our Town is a beautifully rendered play of the simple, honest truths about American life and the American family. Thornton Wilder struck a chord in portraying focused glimpses of the important things that matter to the human soul and illuminating the fact that we most often overlook these things in our daily lives.

The state cookie of New Hampshire, as baked by Brady Adair.
When I begin work on a play, I like to bring something to the first day of rehearsal as an act of welcome and goodwill to my cast mates, something that has relevance to the piece we will be performing. It is always food-related, as food is the perfect catalyst to bond people. 

In approaching Our Town I thought about what might be appropriate. Researching cookie history I test baked the most popular cookie of 1901 (the year Our Town starts). I found that cookie to be a bit dull. After several days of no inspiration, I suddenly thought that perhaps the State of New Hampshire could help me, as that is where our play takes place. After searching for state emblems on the internet Wikipedia gave me comprehensive information about various official emblems that the United States has, broken down by state. It was here that I discovered that New Hampshire is one of the few states in the U.S. that actually has a state cookie—voila! I was set. 

The official cookie of New Hampshire is the pumpkin cookie which was also a perfect sweet for the beginning of fall. To package the cookies I was fortunate to find a small paper bag with a red gingham print in which to place the cookies. Each cast member was given a bag with their treat as a personal welcome from me. It’s a wonderful way to start a new collegial relationship and sets just the right tone for the work ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment