Wednesday, September 26, 2012

OUR TOWN: Liquor and Lovers

Over the coming weeks, we're blogging about the talented team assembled for OUR TOWN, running Oct. 17-27. Get your tickets now and for more about the show, visit www.tictheater.com.

The more we rehearse and discuss OUR TOWN, I'm struck by it being much spicier and more intriguing than it seemed when I first read it in high school English.

At rehearsal last night, the entire cast was talking about the gossip in the play about the town drunk, Simon Stimson.  We touched on whether or not Simon would be aware of AA at that time (1901 in the play).

This morning, one of our actors, A.J. Heekin (playing Joe/Si Crowell and Sam Craig), sent me the following fascinating bit of color:

Samuel Steward

A friend was recommending I read a biography on Samuel Steward, called Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist and Sexual Renegade.  

I always knew that Wilder wrote the third act of OUR TOWN after a walk with some guy, but I didn't realize it was Steward.  Steward was an alcoholic who eventually got sober in AA.  Now, I know AA started in 1935 and Wilder completed the play in 1937; sounds like Steward was just getting into his heaviest drinking phase when Wilder wrote the third act, so... an active alcoholic was his muse.  And perhaps the play (and Stimson's demise) were catalysts for Steward to join the program.


I also just caught the resemblance between the names Sam Steward and Simon Stimson.  Additionally, we've talked a bit that Simon could be played as a closeted gay man.  Steward was gay as well, and I'd imagine this was one of the things that caused him to drink in those dark years.


I Googled Sam Steward and Thornton Wilder, and guess what?  They were lovers (briefly).  This play gets more and more interesting with every read, and much more nuanced.  Thanks for bringing this out, A.J.!

No comments:

Post a Comment