Tuesday, October 23, 2012

OUR TOWN Q&A with Stephanie Pezolano

Over the last few weeks, we've been blogging about the talented team assembled for OUR TOWN, running Oct. 17-27.  While we're SOLD OUT (hurrah!), you can try your luck at the door for standby tickets. For more about the show, visit www.tictheater.com.

We sat down with the incomparable Stephanie Pezolano, who plays a towns person in the piece.  She's done her homework...

From Princeton to Boston to New York City to the Pulitzer Prize....it's mind-blowing to think OUR TOWN was almost a "flop." Boston theatre goers did not like it! To think that Jed Harris (the director and producer at the time) was actually persuaded by theatre critics (Brooks Atkinson and Alexander Woolcott) to not close the show, and bring OUR TOWN to New York ahead of time...moving to the Henry Miller Theatre, and then the Morosco Theatre...and the rest is...the lofty bar by which so many American plays are measured.... And, it's also interesting to note that "Mr. Harris insisted that the playbills were to be distributed after the final curtain, not before the show. His reason for that was that he did not want his actors bothered or disturbed by the rustling of the pages." I love that! I have always thought that was the way to go...this would encourage the audience to be enveloped by the play and the performances...without any distraction, nor pre-conceived notions which may influence his or her experience as a fully-engaged and objective audience member.

1. You're sitting at Mr. Morgan's drugstore.  What would you order as an old-time-y treat?

I would have a Boston Cooler (which is described as a soda fountain drink "for the sophisticate"): a tall glass of dry ginger ale with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. No whipped cream.

2. What job would you most like to attempt in Grover's Corners?

I would like to assist "those scientific fellas" who have come up with silicate glue to preserve "all the reading matter" for the Cornerstone.This would not only satisfy my interest in (and appreciation of) history and preservation, but intelligent men as well. Perhaps this may also provide me with some type of legitimate income while I pursue my artistic endeavors in a town which suffers from a dearth of culture and creative opportunity. I would clearly need to carve my own artistic path, and recruit as many neighbors and friends (perhaps the Stage Manager and girls who reluctantly play the piano at Commencement might be coaxed into joining my crusade) as possible. We could form a theatre company, for instance.... I would of course ask my scientist colleagues, Professor Willard and Editor Webb to be on our Board of Directors...

3. Our slogan for this production is "a sweet and tart slice of small town life."  What kind of pie would your character be?

I would be a Sour Cream Apple Crumb Pie. The recipe below is one I have tried personally, and it is absolutely delicious! I highly recommend it with a cup of mulled cider (and a spiked cup for Mr. Stimson, naturally!).

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/sour-cream-apple-crumb-pie-10000001694308/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment