Saturday, October 4, 2014

Blogging About: Shelley Little, 'Maya' in WHALE SONG

Tongue in Cheek Theater's fall 2014 season opens later this month with Whale Song or: Learning to Live with Mobyphobia by Claire Kiechel which runs 9 performances, from October 29-November 8, 2014 at 8 pm.  All shows are at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios, 244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor in midtown NYC.  Tickets are $18 at www.tictheater.com and by calling 212-868-4444.

We recently sat down with actress Shelley Little, who stars as 'Maya' to ask a few questions about whales and bears and doing her sixth show with Tongue in Cheek!
Shelley Little

You play 'Maya,' the protagonist in Whale Song, who is afraid of whales.  Did you do any research into whales?
After I was cast in this play, I started dating a hot single dad. We're both really busy, so in an effort to multi-task, I asked if he would want to watch Blackfish with me the only night I had free one week.  I felt like I should watch it before rehearsal started.  He said yes.  It was our second date.  Here's what I'll say.

1. Definitely watch Blackfish.
2. Definitely don't watch Blackfish when you want someone to kiss you.

How do YOU feel about whales?
I love whales!  I went through that phase in middle school where I wanted to be a marine biologist.  In high school, I volunteered at a science center and we had an exhibit on whales for a while.  I got to teach elementary school kids all the things I'd loved at their age.  There's something very mysterious about whales -- their secret communication systems, their family units, how deep they go into the ocean (into places we know nothing about).  This play has been a great excuse for me to start geeking out about whales again!

So, what animal would you be, if you could magically turn into another species?
I'd probably be a bear.  I like to sleep all day and I throw a lot of temper tantrums.  All my friends should be warned -- tied your food up out of my reach and don't try to steal any of mine.  I don't share well.

We can't wait to have you see Whale Song or: Learning to Live with Mobyphobia!  Get your tickets now at www.tictheater.com and by calling 212-868-4444.

No comments:

Post a Comment