Monday, October 13, 2014

Blogging About: Matt Sydney, 'Shep' in WHALE SONG

Tongue in Cheek Theater's fall 2014 season opens in just over 2 weeks with Whale Song or: Learning to Live with Mobyphobia by Claire Kiechel, which runs 9 performances, from October 29-November 8, 2014 at 8 pm.  All shows are at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios, 244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor in midtown NYC.  Tickets are available at www.tictheater.com and by calling 212-868-4444.

This fall, we're thrilled to be working with such an amazing line up of talented folks, and we recently sat down with Matt Sydney, the adorable actor playing Shep the Motherf*cking Drummer.  And yes, he can really drum.

Whale Song is set in NYC.  Where are you from, and do you consider yourself a New Yorker?
I was born in Brooklyn, grew up on Long Island (spending ample time in NYC), went to college on Staten Island and live in NYC now.  I consider myself a New Yorker.


If you were an animal, what animal would you be, and why?
Matt Sydney

I would love to be a monkey of some kind.  I love to climb, but I wish I were better at it.  For that same reason, I wouldn't want a pet monkey.  The resentment wouldn't be good for either of us.

Are you scared of whales?
In my head I have no problem with whales, but if ever confronted, I know that the magnitude of their size would overwhelm me into a little ball of scared-Matt.

What kinds of songs do you like to sing?
I sing EVERYTHING!  I guess if I had to narrow it down, it would be alternative rock, country and musicals.

Do you relate to your character?
Shep is essentially a totally relaxed version of myself.  Minus a few brain synapses, plus a lot of inner child.  Also, we're both drummers, although I have to admit that Shep is better than I.


Favorite line in the play?
"If it scares you, it must be important."  I have the honor of saying this line to Maya and I love it because you'd never expect sure a poignant line to come from a character like Shep.  It reminds me that everyone has a deeper side and that wisdom can come from the least likely place.

Get your tickets now at www.tictheater.com and by calling 212-868-4444.

No comments:

Post a Comment