Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Blogging About: Liz Phillips in TIC's Plus 1 Solo Show Festival

Tongue in Cheek Theater's November 2014 Plus 1 Solo Show Festival runs for 2 performances, from Sunday-Monday, November 2-3, 2014 at 8 pm.  All shows are at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios, 244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor in midtown NYC.  Tickets are $20 at www.tictheater.com and by calling 212-868-4444.

We are thrilled to welcome to the festival Liz Phillips, performing her original piece Social Studies. We asked the funny gal a few Qs, she gave excellent As back.

Where are you from and when did you come to NYC?
I was born in Maryland, outside of DC, but I grew up in a town in Pennslyvania called Mechanicsburg.  I'm not sure why it's called that.  As far as I know, it wasn't established by a group of mechanics or anything.  On New Year's Eve, they drop a wrench in the town to celebrate.

I moved to NYC in the summer of 2011.  It was really hot and really humid, and I tried to last without buying an air conditioner for as long as I could, even keeping my clothes in the freezer.  My parents gifted me an air conditioning unit after three weeks.  I'll be forever grateful for that.

Who inspires you creatively?
I get inspired by all sorts of people and things.  For comedy, I love the work of Maya Rudolph, Kristin Wiig, Molly Shannon, Tina Fey, and Amy Poehler.  For drama, I think that Tilda Swinton is incredible.  Traveling, music, new experiences, my friends, my family, the people I see and meet -- all of these things inspire me to create.

Tell us a funny story about a time you saved the day or failed miserably onstage.
I was in middle school, and we were doing this one act play that was set in space, and I was playing a lion that had somehow gotten to space and somehow had also gotten a chunk of space debris stuck in his paw. It made sense at the time. I had a great time with it in rehearsals- howling in agony and all that, but when it finally came time to present it, I totally blanked on stage. The howls were more like whimpers, and everyone just kind of looked at me. Luckily, I’m pretty sure there were only ten people in the audience.

Roar!  If you like great storytelling and music, you're in for a treat with the talented artists in our 12th Plus 1 Solo Show Festival, so get your tickets here and catch the following pieces and musical guest Ellia Bisker of Sweet Soubrette:

Social Studies by Elizabeth Phillips 
How far would you go to make history?

Home by Karen Elliott 
A woman's on-going search to find home leads her to unexpected places. 

Just Leave Me Here by Caralie Chrisco 
If you’ve given up all vices to no big prize, should you stop doing burpees and go back to burgers? 

New Year's Eve Party Crash by Dale Davidson 
The biggest party of the year entails facing your fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment