Sunday, October 19, 2014

Blogging About: Ellia Bisker Plays Plus 1 Solo Show Festival

Tongue in Cheek Theater's November 2014 Plus 1 Solo Show Festival runs for 2 performances, from Sunday-Monday, November 2-3, 2014 at 8 pm.  All shows are at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios, 244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor in midtown NYC.  Tickets are $20 at www.tictheater.com and by calling 212-868-4444.

We are thrilled to welcome to the festival Ellia Bisker of Sweet Soubrette.  We asked the chaleureuse chanteuse a few questions about her music and inspiration and got some revealing insight.

How did you come to make the story/music you're sharing in Plus 1?
I was a late bloomer as a musician. I used to write and perform poetry, but it was super intense, and I suspected not always comfortable for the audience. Then I was gifted a ukulele in December 2005, and it changed my life (sometimes I say ruined, but I kid). Music, along with humor, provides a way to get past people's defenses: now I can stab them in the heart with devastating existential truths and they enjoy it.

Keeping it together

Who inspires you creatively?
I'm especially inspired by my friends in the circus performer community and their commitment to their work, which is physically and artistically challenging and often marginalized. They set a high bar. And the people in my life really inspire me too. I mainly write songs out of my own experiences, stories my friends tell me about their lives, and sometimes from books. I'm a huge bookworm, I'm always reading something.

Tell us a funny story about a time you saved the day or failed miserably onstage.
A couple years ago I was wearing this amazing sequined dress at a gig in an artist's basement studio in East Williamsburg. I was wearing a sweatshirt over it until it was time for my set, so I didn't realize until right before I was supposed to go on that the odd sensation I was feeling was that the zipper had suddenly destructed. The dress zipped up the side and it was gaping completely open. I ran around asking if anyone had a safety pin, but nobody did. What I did find was a handful of wooden clothespins, and I pinned the dress shut with those. I couldn't put my left arm down, and it looked really weird, but it held together for the length of my set.

Ingenious!  If you like great storytelling and music, you're in for a treat with the talented artists in our 12th Plus 1 Solo Show Festival, so get your tickets here and catch the following pieces:

Social Studies by Elizabeth Phillips 
How far would you go to make history?

Home by Karen Elliott 
A woman's on-going search to find home leads her to unexpected places. 

Just Leave Me Here by Caralie Chrisco 
If you’ve given up all vices to no big prize, should you stop doing burpees and go back to burgers? 

New Year's Eve Party Crash by Dale Davidson 
The biggest party of the year entails facing your fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment