Friday, October 17, 2014

Blogging About: Jared Shirkey, 'Mark' in WHALE SONG

Tongue in Cheek Theater's fall 2014 season opens in a few weeks with Whale Song or: Learning to Live with Mobyphobia by Claire Kiechel, which runs 9 performances, from October 29-November 8, 2014 at 8 pm.  All shows are at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios, 244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor in midtown NYC.  Tickets are available at www.tictheater.com and by calling 212-868-4444.

We recently sat down with the talented Jared Shirkey, who is making his TIC debut in the role of 'Mark,' the protagonist's tried and true boyfriend.

Whale Song is set in NYC.  Where are you from? Do you consider yourself a New Yorker now?
Jared Shirkey
I grew up raising chickens in Michigan and moved here about 5 years ago.  That New Yorker status is still an elusive one.  I'd say at the 10-year mark, you can start to try to stake your claim.  But don't tell anyone from the Bronx I said that. 

If you were an animal, what would you be?
Definitely a wolf.  Their sense of loyalty and affection always drew me.  Also the ability to go LONE WOLF!

When you sing in the shower, what's your go-to song?
I get made fun of by my roommates for singing Into the Woods.  All the parts.  Every single one.

How do you feel about whales?
Most of my whale knowledge is based off the documentary Free Willy.  I love whales. And their freedom.  Wait, it's not a documentary?

In what ways are you similar to your role as 'Mark'?
Hmmmn.  The undying affection for a lover that doesn't want me?  The drunken visits to win back said lover?  The corny puns?  No, no, I don't see any real similarities...

Favorite line in the play?
"I'm gonna put a baby inside of you." -- Mark

Classic romantic drunk Mark -- ha ha!

We can't wait to have you see Jared in Whale Song!  Get your tickets now at www.tictheater.com and by calling 212-868-4444.


No comments:

Post a Comment