Friday, May 2, 2014

Q&A with Buffalo Heights' Shelley Little

Buffalo Heights is TIC's first world premiere production, a comedy about a new teacher who moves to Buffalo to teach French, only to find herself embroiled in scandal when she crosses the wrong student.  The production was devised, or company-created, over the course of six months, and the resulting script, crafted by playwright Adam Harrell, is as goofy as it is heartfelt.

The show runs for 8 performances, May 7-10 and 14-17 at 8 PM at The Bridge Theatre.  Purchase $18 tickets online or by phone at 212-868-4444.

Shelley "Sticky Buns" Little
Actress Shelley Little returns to the TIC stage as the school principal in Buffalo Heights, her fifth TIC production.  Read on about this talented thesp.

What has been your favorite part of creating Buffalo Heights?
I am interested in getting more involved with the development of new work, and getting to do it in a room filled with positive, creative people, many of whom I've worked with before, was really great.  I love my character, the uptight principal Jean Washington, and I got to spend several months learning what makes her tick!

Buffalonians love their hometown teams and hot wings.  Where are you from, who do you root for, and what is your hometown favorite food?
I'm from Columbus, Ohio, home of the Ohio State Buckeyes!  Pretty much the entire town runs on football.  Every week, my family sits down in their Scarlet & Grey and watches the game.  I'm not a big sports fan, but going to a game or eating chocolate-covered-peanut-butter-balls (called Buckeyes) definitely says home to me!

We took inspiration from The Children's Hour and Rhinoceros.  What's your favorite person, place or thing from those two plays?
I love Rhinoceros.  The final scene was MY final scene at Circle in the Square Theater School.  Dan Mian (best actor ever) and I did it once through and then Alan Langdon told me that he didn't feel like Daisy really wanted to join the rhinoceroses, so when we did it again, my group of second year students waved and smiled, warmly inviting me to join them.  It was such a great way to end my time with them in that tiny basement classroom.  I'll always cherish that moment and the play!

No comments:

Post a Comment