Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Q&A with Buffalo Heights' Matt Whitfield

Buffalo Heights is TIC's first world premiere production, a comedy about a new teacher who moves to Buffalo to teach French, only to find herself embroiled in scandal when she crosses the wrong student.  The production was devised, or company-created, over the course of six months, and the resulting script, crafted by playwright Adam Harrell, is as goofy as it is heartfelt.

The show runs for 8 performances, May 7-10 and 14-17 at 8 PM at The Bridge Theatre.  Purchase $18 tickets online or by phone at 212-868-4444.

We sat down with actor Matt Whitfield to talk about his first TIC production, small town life, psychedelics and wild dreams.

What has been your favorite part of creating Buffalo Heights?
Matt Whitfield
My favorite part has been the complete ownership of the character, Conner Smith.  From the first rehearsal, I've had a great deal of artistic influence on him, and because I now feel like I know him so well.

We set our piece in the proud city of Buffalo.  Where are you from, and what is a source of pride from your hometown?
My hometown is Pinehurst, Idaho.  In a town of 1,500 people, there isn't a place that one can't go on foot.  Growing up, I would walk the entire town.  The best place to eat, however, is the Snake Pit, an old brothel, turned restaurant/bar, that serves up classic American fare: burgers, chicken tender baskets, and the best root beer.  I always go back to the Snake Pit when I'm home.

Buffalo Heights takes place in a fictional high school with that same name.  If you had to write Conner Smith's entry in the high school yearbook, what would it say?
"Most likely to do nothing with his life.  Inspiring complacency and psychedelics for all."

We took inspiration for our piece from The Children's Hour and Rhinoceros. What was your favorite person, place or thing from those plays?
For me, Jean from Rhinoceros exemplifies the struggle we all go through, especially in New York, where what we wear, how we look, and our punctuality tell the world who we are.  Jean relies on those things to tell him who he is, and it's so fun to watch him implode in the play.

Buffalo is famous for its snow.  What's your ideal weather?
I love clear days in the mid-to-low 70's.  On a day like that, I have to get outside, and lately, I have to run: through Central Park, across the George Washington Bridge, or maybe just up to Fort Tryon Park.

In some ways, Buffalo Heights is a fish-out-of-water story.  Tell us about the last time you felt you were that fish.
Last year, my wife and I traveled to Spain.  It was my first time outside the country, and I don't speak Spanish, but my wife does--we stayed with her host mom from when she studied abroad.

The first night, I was so confused.  My head was spinning and I felt cross-eyed.  Everyone speaks with such personality and expressivity!

My first night, I dreamt in Spanish.  To dream in a language that you can't understand is quite an experience.  It was like watching a record player spin while people dance and enjoy the music, but you don't hear the music.  The next day, I swear I could subconsciously understand what people were saying, even if I really didn't.  I wasn't nervous anymore about the language barrier, I just sat back and enjoyed the music.


No comments:

Post a Comment