Sunday, April 27, 2014

Q&A with Buffalo Heights' Joe Mullen

Buffalo Heights is TIC's first world premiere production, a comedy about a new teacher who moves to Buffalo to teach French, only to find herself embroiled in scandal when she crosses the wrong student.  The production was devised, or company-created, over the course of six months, and the resulting script, crafted by playwright Adam Harrell, is as goofy as it is heartfelt.

The show runs for 8 performances, May 7-10 and 14-17 at 8 PM at The Bridge Theatre.  Purchase $18 tickets online or by phone at 212-868-4444.

We asked actor Joe Mullen about playing a hapless security guard at Buffalo Heights and other goofy and great moments as of late.
Think, Mullen, think!

All the actors were integral to creating Buffalo Heights. What was your favorite part of the process?
I've really enjoyed the entire workshopping and developing process we've engaged in.  Adam (the playwright) and Jake (director) created a very generous and free environment, where I was free to goof off and make big choices about my character.  Then, before you know it, Adam shows up with a script that has so much taken from our improv sessions.  I have to stop and say to myself, "Oh my God!  I don't remember saying this... did I say this?!?!"  And Adam is like, "Yeah, Joe, I have it all recorded."

Our piece is set in Buffalo, NY, where there is a lot of local pride in sports and food.  Where are you from and what is your go-to local cuisine?
I'm from Chicago originally and I still follow both the Bears and the Bulls: two of the oldest and greatest franchises in professional sports.  When I'm home, there's nothing better than turning the game on, plopping down on the couch, and opening up a box of Lou Maltani's deep dish pizza... it's the best.

Tell us about the last time you had a weird audition experience. 
Once I went to what I thought was a live (well-paying) promo event for Cirque du Soleil, and it turned out to be an open dancers call.  I was in jeans and street shoes.  I stood in the back, tried to keep up with the limberettes, and failed.  Then, during a bathroom break, I snuck out and went home.

For more about this talented guy, visit his web site.



No comments:

Post a Comment