Thursday, May 8, 2014

Q&A with Plus 1 Solo Show Fest's David Meyers

The spring 2014 Plus 1 Solo Show Festival features five 20-minute solo works and musical guest Todd Kramer.  The festival line up:

  • Unmolested? by Lynn Bixenspan
  • Lucky Chick by Felicity Seidel
  • Solo Show by David Meyers
  • My Unsexy Life as a Wall Street Analyst by Yangyang Guo
  • Sleep Well by Glynn Borders

The festival runs for 2 shows, May 11 and 12 at 8 PM at The Bridge Theatre.  There is an intermission. Purchase $20 tickets online or by phone at 212-868-4444.

David Meyers, Solo Show Artist
David Meyers is an actor and writer whose piece explores the solo show-creating process.  We asked him a few questions about his process.

What's your piece about?

It's a one-man show about an actor writing a one-man show for himself.  Very meta.

What inspired you to write a solo show?
I have been interested in doing a one-man show for a while -- and had this idea to write about myself, and turn my real-life struggle to find a great solo show into, well, a solo show.

Describe the look and feel of your solo show if it were turned into a music video!
It would be a lot of fun, and make people laugh -- but not in a goofy way.  Don't think I've seen many music videos like that...

Tell us a funny story about a defining performance moment in your life.
When I was in pre-school, I was supposed to appear in The Nutcracker, and developed a high fever the day of the show.  I BEGGED my mom to let me perform, but she wouldn't let me go to school.  My desire to perform and get on stage is still as strong today as it was then.  I learned early on how much I loved theater.

What do you hope to do next with your piece?
I really enjoy the play and I'm so grateful to TIC for producing it.  I hope to bring it to other festivals in the future.  It was truly meant to be performed with other solo shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment