Sunday, May 4, 2014

Q&A with Buffalo Heights' Nina Leese

Buffalo Heights is TIC's first world premiere production, a comedy about a new teacher who moves to Buffalo to teach French, only to find herself embroiled in scandal when she crosses the wrong student.  The production was devised, or company-created, over the course of six months, and the resulting script, crafted by playwright Adam Harrell, is as goofy as it is heartfelt.

The show runs for 8 performances, May 7-10 and 14-17 at 8 PM at The Bridge Theatre.  Purchase $18 tickets online or by phone at 212-868-4444.
Nina "Foxy" Leese

You might recognize actress Nina Leese from TIC's production of Our Town, in which she played Mrs. Gibbs.  This time around, she plays a powerful Congresswoman in Buffalo Heights.

What has been your favorite part of creating Buffalo Heights?
The support of my fellow actors.  No one judges and everyone wants the best experience and end product possible.  This is a really nice group of people.

Buffalonians love their hometown teams and food.  Where are you from and what stirs up your pride?
I'm from Long Island, NY and I went to Lawrence High School.  I cannot remember for the life of me what our team mascot was -- a panther?  A cougar?  It was some kind of cat.  I really just went to the football games because I had a crush on the team captain.  I went to every game and I still have no idea how to play football.  I was Art Captain of my Sports Night team.  The name of the event is deceiving since there weren't many sports.  I did the art for it and was on the dance team.  Go blue team!

We took inspiration from The Children's Hour and Rhinoceros.  What's your favorite person, place or thing from those two plays?
In the movie version of The Children's Hour, I loved Veronica Cartwright's performance as Rosalie.  Poor Rosalie!  My heart just went out to her.

In many ways, Buffalo Heights is a fish-out-of-water story--can you remember a time when you were clearly out of your element?
When I graduated from college, I worked for 2 days as a bartender at The Foxy Hutch on Long Island, not knowing what I was getting into or what I was doing.  Really?  I couldn't tell by the name?  I had to wear a bathing suit, fishnet stockings and high heels.  If you know me now, you're thinking WHAT?!?!?  I quit after 2 days and the owner called me, begging me to stay.  He told me I would be the smart, sophisticated one (the other girls were pretty scary).  I said, buh-bye!

We reference Apollinaire's Bestiaire, a book of poems about animals and what traits they represent.  What animal is your character, Diane, and why?
My character would be the Foo Dog, which are really more like lions rather than dogs.  They are always in pairs, guarding palaces and public buildings of importance.  One represents the female and protects people.  The other is male and he defends the universe.  In much the same way, Diane, my character, feels the need to protect both her child and the community she represents as Congresswoman.

No comments:

Post a Comment