Sunday, March 24, 2013

Q&A with Jeremy Patrick Hamilton (Buddy in 'The Mistakes Madeline Made')

Over the coming weeks, we're featuring interviews with artists in our spring productions.

Our main stage show, The Mistakes Madeline Made by Elizabeth Meriwether, opens Thursday, April 4 and runs for 7 performance, April 4-6 and 10-13 at 8 pm at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios (244 West 54 Street, 12th floor, NYC). Tickets are $18 online or by calling 212-868-4444.

We asked Jeremy Patrick Hamilton a few seriously funny questions and got some deep thoughts out of him.  Yeah!

Tell me about your role in The Mistakes Madeline Made.
I play Buddy, the older brother of the lead character, Edna.  Buddy's a journalist just back from his first "big trip" to the Middle East.  His reality takes place two years prior to the other characters' reality in the play.  He's dealing with coming back to the U.S. after seeing first-hand the kinds of atrocities that most of us turn away from with shock and horror.  He's a man who has seen too much and it now defines him.  But instead of running away, he's ready to run back into the fire.

Buddy has the bathtub blues.
What's your favorite moment or line from the show, and why?
BUDDY: Once, I tried to get into my car and there was a dead child on my windsheild.  The guy I was with was like, Hey, it's raining kids.  I was so wasted that there were two seconds where I was like, wait, is it?"

Wow, this is my favorite line?!?!  I suppose it is because it gives you the state of mind and personal perspective that defines Buddy.  He's neither cold nor callous, but rather numb to the astonishingly surreal (yet actually real) world of warfare.  He is a walking/talking casualty of war.

What's a quotation or maxim you/your character lives by?

"Sal, we gotta go and never stop going 'till we get there."
'Where we going, man?'
"I don't know, but we gotta go."
-- Jack Kerouac, On the Road
 

No comments:

Post a Comment