Friday, March 29, 2013

Q&A with Allison Lemel (assistant director, 'The Mistakes Madeline Made')

Over the coming weeks, we're featuring interviews with artists in our spring productions.

Our main stage show, The Mistakes Madeline Made by Elizabeth Meriwether, opens Thursday, April 4 and runs for 7 performances, April 4-6 and 10-13 at 8 pm at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios (244 West 54 Street, 12th floor, NYC). Tickets are $18 online or by calling 212-868-4444.

Lemel est la meilleure.
Behind every great production is an exceptionally organized person calling the shots.  For more than 11 productions to date (and 2 more to debut in April!), Allison Lemel has been that resource for Tongue in Cheek: stage managing, lighting and costume designing, and assistant-directing (including our sold-out and critically-acclaimed Our Town in October 2012).

We asked Allison what she's working on in addition to The Mistakes Madeline Made and the Spring 2013 Plus One Solo Show Festival.

Tell me what you've been up to (in addition to running rehearsals of The Mistakes Madeline Made)?
I just completed writing my one-woman show, Places, Please.  It's about all my experiences (both funny and strange) in the world of stage management.  I am in the midst of submitting it to festivals in NYC and am also working on completing a full-length screenplay.

What's your favorite play?
My favorite play is Our Town.  I was so excited to assistant direct TIC's production in October 2012.  I remember when I first read it in college, and the thing that first caught my eye was the narrator role, which is called 'The Stage Manager.'  I love how heartwarming the story is, and how it can be related to small town life, or even big city life.  It's a timeless piece.


You've now stage managed 8 of our 9 Plus One Solo Show Festivals.  What kind of solo shows do you like, and why?
When looking at the solo shows I've seen, I always love when the performer is telling me their story, and making it personal: when the performer takes you along for the ride, it makes great theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment