Friday, March 22, 2013

Q&A with A.J. Heekin (Wilson in 'The Mistakes Madeline Made')

Over the coming weeks, we're featuring interviews with artists in our spring productions.

Our main stage show, The Mistakes Madeline Made by Elizabeth Meriwether, opens Thursday, April 4 and runs for 7 performance, April 4-6 and 10-13 at 8 pm at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios (244 West 54 Street, 12th floor, NYC). Tickets are $18 online or by calling 212-868-4444.

Wild Wilson wit and wisdom
Fresh off of rave reviews for his characters in Our Town (TIC's fall 2012 production), we asked A.J. Heekin for a few words of wisdom. 

Tell me about your role in The Mistakes Madeline Made.
I am playing Wilson... he has trouble with words and makes involuntary sounds instead.  He is one of the most unrelentingly hopeful characters I've ever encountered.

What's a quotation or maxim you/your character lives by?
William Makepeace Thackeray said, "To love and win is the best thing.  To love and lose, the next best."

Wilson would say, "Every man must find his own... [makes the sound of a sponge falling from a great height]."

This play features a bit of a coup involving handiwipes.  Which of the following terms is your favorite, and why: handiwipe, wet nap, moist towelette?
 I don't know which term is my favorite, but I can tell you "wet nap" is definitely my least favorite.  It brings up memories of every time I fell asleep as a child.

www.ajheekin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment