Friday, April 5, 2013

Q&A with Todd Kramer, singer/songwriter, Plus One Solo Show Fest (April 7&8)!

Our 2013 season has begun!

The Mistakes Madeline Made opened last night and runs for 6 more performances, April 4-6 and 10-13 (Tickets). During the dark nights of Madeline, we feature 4 solo shows and a singer/songwriter with our ninth Plus One Solo Show Festival, April 7-8 (Tickets).  All shows are $18, begin at 8 pm, and run at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios (244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor, NYC).

Todd questions his questioning soul.
We are truly lucky to be welcoming back to the Plus One stage our friend and singer/songwriter Todd Kramer.  We asked this talented Todd about who and what inspires him.

What inspires you to write your songs?
I'm inspired by the cliched stuff: mainly ex-girlfriends, personal experience, family, and did I say ex-girlfriends?

I'm self-analytical when I write.  I don't love to bash people (not that I haven't!), but mostly I like to bash myself and ask why the hell I let these things happen, and why do they happen?  A lot of songs come from lack of communication, the idea that if you could just say what's on your mind, you could avoid a lot of problems.  I even have a song called "We're Not Communicating."

What actor would play you in a movie about your life?
I grew up watching American Pie movies (not proud of it, but my friends and I used to be able to quote the first movie from start to finish).

I think I'd have to go with the self-loathing Jason Biggs.  Seems like a good fit.

Eh, I take that back: Clooney.  Definitely Clooney.

Who inspires you?
The other musicians in the city that I've come to know and befriend inspire me to sit down and write.  I've been lucky to meet so many talented folks here, and it's almost impossible to listen to them play and not want to go home and bury yourself in a notebook.  They're really the reason I've kept going.  I'm really very grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment