Thursday, April 4, 2013

Q&A with Rachel Handler, writer/performer, Plus One Solo Show Fest (April 7&8)!

Our 2013 season starts this week! Hurrah!

Starting Thursday, The Mistakes Madeline Made runs for 7 performances, April 4-6 and 10-13 (Tickets). During the dark nights of Madeline, we feature 4 solo shows and a singer/songwriter with our ninth Plus One Solo Show Festival, April 7-8 (Tickets).  All shows are $18, begin at 8 pm, and run at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios (244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor, NYC).

Bonjour, Inspiration Whore!
We sat down with the beautiful and bright Rachel Handler, to discuss her autobiographical solo show, Inspiration Whore.

What inspired you to write Inspiration Whore?
After I lost my leg, everyone told me I was an inspiration, but I didn't feel like one.  I felt like I just lost my leg.  So I wrote this piece about finding myself and finding that inspiring spark that others saw in me but that I didn't see for myself.

How did you come up with the title?
I had heard the term before and thought it applied perfectly to my story.  Every single day, ever since I lost my leg, at least one person tells me I'm an inspiration.  I like to inspire!  I am an inspiration whore!

If your solo show became a movie, who would play you?
I'd have Natalie Portman or Jennifer Lawrence play me.  They are both honest, audacious actresses... plus people tell me all the time that I look like Natalie Portman.

No comments:

Post a Comment