Monday, April 1, 2013

Q&A with Joel Haberli, writer/performer, Plus One Solo Show Fest (April 7&8)!

Our 2013 season starts this week! Hurrah!

Starting Thursday, The Mistakes Madeline Made runs for 7 performances, April 4-6 and 10-13 (Tickets). During the dark nights of Madeline, we feature 4 solo shows and a singer/songwriter with our ninth Plus One Solo Show Festival, April 7-8 (Tickets).  All shows are $18, begin at 8 pm, and run at The Bridge Theatre @ Shetler Studios (244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor, NYC).

Joel Haberli is a heart breaker, literally and figuratively.  We sat him down and grilled him a little about his solo show, Cracks in a Concrete Heart.
Dishy Joel Dishes

Give me your best elevator speech about your solo show.
It's about a lifelong womanizer who faces a possibly life-altering health issue and wonders if there's a connection between his emotional and physical being.

What inspired you to write your piece?
My friend Jeanette Bonner took Matt Hoverman's "Create Your Own Solo Show" Class and I was so impressed by her show that I thought I'd give it a try.  I've been thinking about writing this story for some time... seeing her show was the kick in the pants I needed!

What's your writing/rehearsal process like?
Write, write, write... edit, edit, edit!  I always start at the beginning of what I've written and go through the whole thing trying to be objective about what works and what doesn't.  I'm a big believer in "tweaking."  Rehearsal involves memorizing it and then working with my director to try and make it more than what I envisioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment