Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Plus One Summer 2012 July 28-29 - Interview #3: Megan Melnyk

TIC's Plus One Solo Show Festival is at it again, firing up 4 seriously funny solo shows and a great musical guest this summer, July 28 and 29. Get your tickets now!

We interviewed the hilarious and sweet Megan Melnyk about her character-driven solo show, Welcome to the Hallmark Emporium, about three women working the card shop floor like they mean it.

TIC: What inspired you to write your solo show, Welcome to the Hallmark Emporium?
Megan Melnyk:  Truly a combination of disbelief, fear and watching other people be brave.  After a rough fall and with the whole end of the world Mayan make your life matter pressure I made a list of 12 things I wanted to do within the year. There were and are fun things (surf lessons, trapeze classes) but, I wanted to add things I was really afraid that I could not possibly do - and writing a piece was top of the list.

TIC: Are the characters based on any people in your life?
MM: Each character is a version of something I've felt with a safely distancing exaggerated version of how I've perceived myself in those moments. I thought - I've felt this, what kind of person would feel this way times 10,000 and what would be FUN. I want to do that! (Although, proper disclosure I am from a small farm town and am related to a few people who compete on the "chicken circuit", which may not be the professional terminology - but, we're distantly related.)

TIC: If you were to cast the characters in a sitcom, who would play each one?
MM: Maybe the love child of Joanna Lumley and Madeline Kahn for my aging underemployed starlet, for my love sick co-worker 100% the phenomenally gifted Christina Gausas, and for my chicken lady...Amy Sedaris would be eerily good. I would also like to add Phylicia Rashad to the sitcom because I adore her and after hanging out on the set of said fictional sitcom she'd probably realize she wants to adopt me.

Here's to brilliant comediennes!  Join us for Megan's show and 3 other seriously funny solo shows (Rooftops by Jim Chu, The Circle Flying Dance by Myla Pitt, And She Bakes by Daliya Karnofsky and musical guest Sarah Aili).
When?
Saturday and Sunday, July 28 and 29 at 8 pm
Where? Bridge Theatre (244 West 54th Street, 12th floor @ Shetler Studios).
Tickets: $20. Call 212-868-4444 or go to http://www.smarttix.com/Show.aspx?ShowCode=PLU7.

No comments:

Post a Comment