Friday, July 6, 2012

Plus One Summer 2012 July 28-29 - Interview #1: Daliya Karnofsky


TIC's Plus One Solo Show Festival is at it again, serving up 4 seriously funny solo shows and a great musical guest this summer, July 28 and 29.  Get your tickets now!

We recently interviewed one of the four talented solo show artists in our summer festival (July 28 & 29), starting with the beautiful and talented Daliya Karnofsky.  Her show, And She Bakes, is an interactive baking show, involving sex and relationship advice based on the principles of baking and eating.  Yum!

TIC: What inspired you to write your solo show, And She Bakes?
Daliya Karnofsky: One summer I was super depressed about a boy, and I would come home and bake for hours by myself in my kitchen, having dance parties with my kitchen utensils and sometimes splattering the walls with cake batter, if I felt so inclined.   I'd always wanted to have a baking show, so I decided to start filming these antics as if I were talking to someone about my life while simultaneously teaching them to be the best baker in the world.  I then decided to take it live, and share my goodies and stories and advice with real people.  My show strives to teach that perfection isn't necessary for edible and emotional deliciousness. 
TIC: If your show were a baked good, what would it be?
DK: My show would be a good old-fashioned chocolate chip cookie.   It has all of the elements to make you feel warm, cozy, comforted, and slightly sugar buzzed.  The eggs are my good solid advice that binds the show together, the sugar is the giddy high you get from being a part of really good theater, the flour is the hearty, substantial love that backs it all up, and the chocolate chips are the delicious, well-placed humor and anecdotes that complete the cookie. 
TIC: If your solo show were made into a movie with a full cast of characters, who would you want to play your sidekick/cookie taster?
DK: Ooooooh! My first instinct is Lucille Ball. I think Lucy is who I'm striving to be, but maybe in a modern "New York" kind of way.  She would be great as my older, kookier, fairy godmother and coach.  She could say archaic things from the fifties and be shocked at how sarcastic and frank I am. And she would love my cookies.  Yeah, Lucy would be nice.

Indeed!  Join us for Daliya's show and 3 other seriously funny solo shows (The Circle Flying Dance by Myla Pitt, Welcome to the Hallmark Emporium by Megan Melnyk, and Rooftops by Jim Chu and musical guest Sarah Aili). 
When? Saturday and Sunday, July 28 and 29 at 8 pm 
Where? Bridge Theatre (244 West 54th Street, 12th floor @ Shetler Studios).  
Tickets: $20.  Call 212-868-4444 or go to http://www.smarttix.com/Show.aspx?ShowCode=PLU7.

No comments:

Post a Comment